I'll share the tips and tricks that I've learned
throughout my art career which began over twenty years ago,
so that you can learn to draw quicker and with less frustration.
Hey there, I'm Serena
Join me as we
learn the basics of drawing
hearing stories of women that can inspire us
to believe in our own voices.
In each Module we will focus on one woman and how she overcame obstacles in her life to end up doing amazing things.
These soulful lessons will help us to
believe in our own creative voice
as we learn to draw the portraits of these women together.
What if I have no drawing experience?
- Traceable printouts will be provided, making it easy to follow along if you are just beginning to draw. Once you feel more confident and want to draw in a freehand style you will be able to do that too
- Each module includes several step-by-step videos so you can follow along easily
I'm afraid that I won't have enough time to do the course.
- The pre-recorded video lessons can be played and paused whenever they fit your schedule so that you never have to worry about missing a class
- Once you enroll, you have life-time access to the course
What if I have a question during a lesson?
- You can ask questions in each lesson's comments section, and I will be sure to answer promptly in the comments section
- I also give you access to my email so that you can send me questions privately if you wish
How is this course different than other drawing courses?
- We start with the very basics so no experience is needed
- In each Module we speak about an inspiring woman and how she overcame adversities in her life, and a PDF of each woman with her accomplishments is included. These stories can motivate us in our drawing practice and in how we approach our own lives
- You have access to ask me questions directly through the comments sections and through my own email
- By the end of the course you will know how to create a portrait on your own, and will have life-time access to review the lessons anytime you wish
Practice Your Creativity
In our first Module we will explore creativity and making patterns.
We will explore the life of Jane Goodall and how her belief in a dream, led her to her dream job and to creating a movement to inspire youth to protect the environment.
Types of Lines
In Module 2 we learn basic mark-making with pencils.
Next, we take these pencil lines and marks and shade in a portrait of Frida Kahlo.
We will discuss Frida's confidence and resilience as we draw together.
With Module 3 we will begin to learn form.
After learning the basics of shading, we will then practice what we have learned on a portrait of Serena Williams.
We will chat about Serena's determination and also her passion for equality along with healthy body image.
Individual Features of the Face
In Module 4 there will be a video lesson on each of the features on the face - the eyes, nose, mouth along with straight hair and curly hair.
We will discuss Emma Watson's passion for human rights and environmental issues and be introduced to causes
In our final Module we will learn two techniques for finding where to place the features - a very basic technique and a slightly more advanced called the Loomis Method.
Next we will draw a portrait of Amy Purdy putting together everything that we have learned so far.
We will chat about the life of Amy Purdy and how her resilience - despite serious challenges - led her to a life that she is passionate about.
"Creative Voices" Example Curriculum
- MODULE ONE - INTRO (1:21)
- MODULE ONE - Reference Photo of Jane Goodall
- MODULE ONE - Lesson 1 - Practice your marks here
- MODULE ONE - Lesson 2 - Marks & Jane Goodall (19:18)
- References mentioned in the Videos
- About Jane Goodall - PDF download - with website links
- About Jane Goodall PDF download - Black and white for printing
- SHARE YOUR IDEAS
- MODULE TWO - INTRO VIDEO (1:36)
- MODULE TWO - Lesson 1 - Types of Lines Video (9:16)
- MODULE TWO - Lesson 2 - Practice your lines here
- MODULE TWO - Lesson 3 Lines & Frida Kahlo Video (28:43)
- About Frida Kahlo PDF download - with website links
- About Frida Kahlo PDF download - Black and white for printing
- LET ME KNOW YOUR IDEAS!
- MODULE THREE - INTRO VIDEO (1:57)
- MODULE THREE - Lesson 1 Practice Shading (22:28)
- MODULE THREE - Lesson 2 Using a Color Chart to Understand ShadingB (14:42)
- MODULE THREE - Lesson 3A Shade Serena William's Portrait (25:44)
- MODULE THREE - Lesson 3B Shading Serena William's Portrait (32:48)
- MODULE THREE - BONUS VIDEO - Draw Serena Williams along with me (45:44)
- About Serena Williams PDF download - with website links
- About Serena Williams - Black and white for printing
- HELP ME TO MAKE THE NEXT LESSONS BETTER!
- MODULE FOUR INTRO (0:39)
- MODULE FOUR - Lesson 1 How to Draw an Eye (25:59)
- MODULE FOUR - Lesson 2 How to Draw a Nose (15:48)
- MODULE FOUR - Lesson 3 How to Draw Lips (16:26)
- MODULE FOUR - Lesson 4 How to Draw Curly Hair Part 1 (10:11)
- MODULE FOUR - Lesson 5 How to Draw Curly Hair Part 2 (24:02)
- MODULE FOUR - Lesson 6 How to Draw Straight Hair (16:04)
- About Emma Watson PDF download - With website links
- About Emma Watson PDF download - Black and white for printing
- MODULE FIVE INTRO (1:24)
- MODULE FIVE - Lesson 1A - One Easy Way to Draw the Face (19:34)
- MODULE FIVE - Lesson 1, Feature Placement (Loomis Technique)- Front View (11:34)
- MODULE FIVE - Lesson 2, Feature Placement (Loomis Technique) - Side View (7:24)
- MODULE FIVE - Lesson 2B - Loomis Technique various angles step-by-step guides
- MODULE FIVE - Amy Purdy Reference Photo
- MODULE FIVE - Lesson 3, Putting it all Together - Part 1 (14:07)
- MODULE FIVE - Lesson 3 - Putting it all Together - Part 2 (58:17)
- MODULE FIVE - Lesson 3 - Putting it all Together - Part 3 (37:42)
- About Amy Purdy PDF download - With website links
- About Amy Purdy PDF download - Black and white for printing
What people are saying...
My daughter took a class with Serena online. She absolutely loved it! Serena was so kind, patient, and great at gently giving feedback.
Just what my shy girl needed!
My daughter's portrait drawing abilities were definitely enhanced after the class!
Step-by-step videos, PDF's of each inspiring woman and her accomplishments, How-to guides, printouts to draw on top of, ability to ask questions of me in the comments of each lesson
What you will learn:
- how to awaken your mind-hand connection
- proper form
- individual features
- putting it together to draw a full portrait
Gradually you will learn more advanced drawing techniques, until you understand how to draw your own portraits.